Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Autocad to Revit...Notes of an Autocad user



A successful install of Revit Architecture 2010. Whaddaya mean there's no tutorials???

Well, says R, they are a separate download. Oh...Ok. All sorts of downloads going to the wrong directories and much shuffling later...

I have ground my way through the tutorials, missing things like room spaces etc.

Being an impatient type, I thought it would be good to redo a previously done house drawn in 2D Autocad to see how it compared. (Yes, I know I should not have done it in 2D--it just reinforces for me that 2D is a crazy way of drawing.) This particular drawing I remember well because in the early stages the client wanted a print. Being a "work in progress" there were things wrong.
He got very cranky, so this has taught me the lesson that you do not give anyone a "rough" drawing. I'm not a particularly fussy person, but I'm sure that there is sweat and blood on that drawing...even if it is a PDF!
The above shows progress so far- about 3 hours. The house is a bit deceptive as it has 2 levels on the ground floor.

Putting in things like walls, doors and windows is fairly easy, once you get used to the idea that if the standard version is not what you want, you just duplicate it, and rename it as something else, then alter that one.

Another head scrambler is the fact that all you ever need is already drawn for you: your job is just to fit it and modify it to what you want.

I'm half way between huge admiration for this product and frustration with how things are done.
Another neat way to learn is to go to Youtube and type in say "Revit Stairs". There are some very good presentations there.
Another thing that really surprised me was the connection to Autodesk Seek-
This seems to be a huge depository of components such as baths, sinks etc.
(Note in the standard install they cleverly hide bathroom fittings under "Drainage"-go figure!)
Equally surprising was the lack of sliding windows- sure you can go places where you have to register/pay for such things, but even they have only 2 panels, not 3.
Or am I missing something? (Probably!)

2 comments:

Robin Capper said...

Don't miss room spaces, essential for area calc and room schedules!

William Le Couteur said...

It's just that all the houses I have drawn, nobody ever wanted area calcs or room schedules.